Monday, January 19, 2009

The nation - interviews Shujat Ali khan

Sunday Plus
The Nation
Nawa-i-Waqt
Encounter
…and now a star
Shujaat Ali Khan, nephew of legendary classical singer Ustad Salamat Ali Khan and son of leading contemporary classical singer Sharafat Ali Khan, has been singing since he was four. Coming from Sham Churasi gharana, which was founded in the 16th century by Mian Chand Khan and Mian Suraj Khan who were contemporaries of Mian Tansen at the court of Mughal Emperor Akbar, Shujaat inherited the special talent for music. His grandfather Salamat Ali Khan and uncle Nazakat Ali Khan were rated among the top classical singers. His uncle Shafqat Ali Khan is currently heading the Sham Churasi gharana and performs in concerts across the globe. But he had never thought fame would come his way so soon. It all changed when he entered the Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Challenge – a talent hunt show in Mumbai. Now back home after coming in the first 10 of the challenge Shujaat is basking in the glory of fame. People in the street recognise him and stop to shake hands.Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Challenge is a musical reality show that is widely seen across the globe. The participants this year were from Singapore, UK, USA, Oman, UAE, Pakistan and India. There were auditions in different cities. 36 singers were selected for the show that continued for months. The first episode was aired on June 24 this year. Ghazal singer Ghulam Ali and musician Sahir Ali Bagha took Shujaat’s audition. The youngster won over the heart of both by singing Raag Gorak Kalayan. Last year young singer Amanat Ali had made among the first three. No Pakistani, however, has been able to win since the show was started in 1995.Talking to Sunday Plus about his experience in the talent hunt show and future plans Shujaat was all praise for his mentors and the learning experience that he had at the reality show. He, however, was critical how the whole show was made as if it was a war between Pakistani and Indian singers.“The show was all right in the beginning till the time when the judges decision mattered less. Later it turned into a war of music between Pakistan and India. There should be end to this music war like attitude. It is a shame for the whole world of music. The programme’s format is such that there is public voting. I believe it is all sham. The response of the general public there was amazing towards the Pakistani artistes.“This SMS and email voting is a doubtful thing. The appreciation that I got from Asha Bhonslay and other judges as well as the mentors is what matters more to me. Asha Bhonslay said to other judges that mine was the voice they were looking for. When I sang ‘Sawan beeto jai’ singer Hamesh and many other wept. I was overcome with the situation and also started crying. Even if I do not win the competition it does not matter as I have won the hearts of the people who understand music,” Shujaat was of the view.He was of the view that it was shown as a battle between Pakistani contestants and Indian ones. “This should never be the case. Singers are eliminated from the rounds sometimes to create spice in the programme. Faraz, Zaheer, Sarah Raza were remarkable singers but were still removed from the programme. Asha Bhonsley, Amjad Ali Khan, Sureshi Wadikar and Kavita Krishna Murti were the judges while our mentors were Preetum, Hamesh Reshammiya, Ardesh Shrivastav and Shankar Mahadeven. We had promotional shows in Bhopal, Jaipur, Ahmedabad and New Delhi. The appreciation and love of the general public for the Pakistani singers was astonishing,” Shujaat said his eyes shining with pride.Shujaat said it was for the first time that he stayed away from home for such a long time. “I am the only son and felt homesick there. But then my aunt Riffat used to call me daily from USA. Uncle Shafqat Ali Khan was a great support and encouraged me to adapt to the new conditions. My father told me that my every action should leave an impression on people there so that may hold the Pakistani in high esteem,” he said.Shujaat said what he hated the most there was when the organisers would wake him up very early in the morning for singing practice. “That was the only thing troubling. It was fun at other times – a great opportunity for me to share and learn. I had heard they do politics there and that I would not be allowed to progress to the top spot. But I was ready for the challenge. Even then it is a great place to promote new talent. And I owe the recognition in the street from the programme,” he said.The youngster from Lahore was impressed with the welcome that the media gave him at the Allama Iqbal Airport on his return. “I have performed with my grandfather and know what it feels like to be famous. But I never expected media channels and journalists to welcome in this big way. It came as a pleasant surprise,” he explained.He said all his mentors knew his grandfather or had heard of him and cooperated with him in every way. “They appreciated that nephew of such a great singer had come to participate in the challenge,” he averred.About his future plans, Shujaat said like his ancestors his life was devoted to music. “Music is in my blood and I want to excel in the field like my other family members. I had got admission in the four-year-degree programme in musicology at the National College of Arts. But then I passed the audition for this show. It was an opening for me and I decided to participate. Now I am back and would request the college administration to take me back,” he said. Shujaat did his intermediate from the Government College University, Lahore.He said he would be going back to Mumbai for the grand finale on January 3. After that a world tour has been designed for all winners in the show and I would be going along.Shujaat said he has many offers from both Pakistan and India. Music director Preetum talked to producer Vikram Bhatt to sign contract with the young singer for his next movies.

This interview is a courtesy of “The nation Sunday plus”
Here is the link to original post


http://splus.nation.com.pk/pakistan-news-newspaper-daily-english-online/Encounter/13-Nov-2008/and-now-a-star

No comments:

Post a Comment